New Infinity War Deleted Scene Dives Deeper into Thanos & Gamora’s History
The Mad Titan and his adopted daughter have one of the rockier relationships we’ve seen on the screen lately.
The lengthy Avengers: Infinity War already provided tons of emotional insight into the quarrel between Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and her self-proclaimed protector, Thanos (Josh Brolin). Gamora’s home planet was one of the early victims of Thanos’ conquest, and he took the adorably innocent, green child into his giant arms—after killing her parents, of course.
In a new deleted scene (via USA Today), the pair hammers out some of the long-festering wounds Thanos caused. Some of the conversation, like Thanos telling her that he knew she lied about the Soul Stone, was in the theatrical release, but much is also new. It begins with a projection of a memory. We saw Gamora as a child in the film, but here she’s in a new form, a young adult. At that point in time, she has not yet run away from Thanos, and is actually doing his bidding.
— USA TODAY Life (@usatodaylife) July 30, 2018
It’s a bit uncanny to see Gamora back when she was a villain. She starts that way in Guardians of the Galaxy, but quickly aligns herself with her target, Peter Quill (Chris Pratt). But this isn’t the first deadly family duo in the MCU. There were brief flashes of Odin (Anthony Hopkins) and Hela (Cate Blanchett) in their conquering days during Thor: Ragnarok. Frighteningly, the only people powerful enough to stop one of those teams is probably the other.
Some of these characters met ambiguous ends in those two MCU films, but there’s no saying who can and who can’t come back when everything’s said and done. But it won’t all really be done; there’s potentially dozens of new Marvel films to come in the future and a frightening array of villains to tag along with them.
Other special features for the Infinity War release include:
- Strange Alchemy (5:08)– Share the thrill of characters from across the MCU meeting for the first time—and discover why some were teamed up together.
- The Mad Titan (6:34) – Explore the MCU’s biggest, baddest villain, his trail of influence through the stories, and the existential threat he represents.
- Beyond the Battle: Titan (9:36) – Dive into the climactic struggle on Thanos’ ruined world, including the epic stunts and VFX, to uncover the source of its power.
- Beyond the Battle: Wakanda (10:58) – Go behind the scenes to find out how the filmmakers pulled off the most massive and challenging battle Marvel had ever attempted.
- Deleted and Extended Scenes (10:07)
- Happy Knows Best (1:23) – Tony and Pepper spar over the details of their upcoming wedding—until a hassled Happy Hogan pulls up with an urgent request.
- Hunt for the Mind Stone (1:24) – On a darkened street, Wanda Maximoff and the wounded Vision attempt to hide from Thanos’ brutal allies.
- The Guardians Get Their Groove Back (3:20) – As Peter Quill and Drax quarrel over their failed mission to Knowhere, Mantis interrupts with news.
- A Father’s Choice (4:00) – Thanos confronts Gamora with a vision from her past—and with lying to him about the Soul Stone.
- Gag Reel (2:05)– Watch your favorite Super Heroes make super gaffes in this lighthearted collection of on-set antics. – Audio Commentary (approx. 149 min.) by Anthony and Joe Russo, Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely.
Avengers: Infinity War gets its home release today, July 31 (digital) and August 14 (Blu-ray and DVD).
Featured image: L-r: Gamora (Zoe Saldana) and her “father” Thanos (Josh Brolin). Courtesy Marvel Studios.